Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Taxi!

Checker Motors Corporation, Checker Taxi, The Checker Car Club of America

In 1922, the Checker Motors Corporation rolled out the first Checker cab. It became the iconic American taxi cab. The "Little cab that could" has a long and colorful history. I don't have time to research it now, but I did find out through the Checker Car Club of America that the CMC ceased to exist in 2010. Eighty-eight years of history now sits empty and is in the process of being razed. What would Mickey Spillane think?

I spotted a Checker Cab in Crisfield this past weekend. Naturally, I had to find the owner and get a few photos. I have ridden in my share of these cabs over the years, and it was nice to see one in Crisfield. These taxis were loved for their durability by taxi-drivers everywhere. One really has to trust an old car to drive it all the way from South Bend, Indiana as the owner of this taxi did. I hope our visitors had a ton of fun in Crisfield. Look me up next time. I just might need a ride.


The kids are sitting on the little seats that made for more sitting room in the popular taxis.
 

This is a 1982 Checker Cab. The owner told me that the body was the same on all Checker Cabs from 1957 until 1982.

A special thanks to the owner and his "passengers" for interrupting their day for a few photo snaps. Thanks also to Captain's Galley for helping me find them. 

No comments: