Saturday, August 14, 2010

Good Neighbors

Crisfield garden

“There is no delight in owning anything unshared.” ~  Seneca -

Seneca was a Roman philosopher, and he knew very early - in the mid-1st century AD - that sharing was a good thing.


When we first moved to Crisfield, I would notice little tables bearing fruit or vegetables sitting in people's yards in the summer months. Sometimes a sign was attached that read FREE. People were sharing the bounty of their gardens with anyone who wandered by.

In Crisfield, if someone has a sofa or lamp, or any other thing they want to get rid of they put it in the yard with a FREE sign on it, and someone soon comes along to claim the treasure.  I am sure Seneca would be mighty proud of Crisfielders. I know I am. The below photo is of a few tomatoes in my neighbor's yard. I have picked up some tomatoes, corn, squash, and cucumbers from this little table. We all take only what we need, leaving something for the next person.

Thanks, neighbor!

No comments: