Saturday, October 16, 2010

Anyone for Crisfield soft shell crabs?

Soft shell crabs in Crisfield

“It takes an endless amount of history to make even a little tradition.” ~ Henry James


 When I got my first look into one of the soft shell crab shedding houses it looked like pretty easy work - grab a few crabs in a net and ready them for packing. Not so. In fact, there is so much these workers need to know it boggled my mind when I got my first lesson in the soft shell crab houses. It was all Greek to me, and still is.




I have great respect for our waterman and the people who pick crabs and work the crab and oyster houses. They are skilled in their work, their lessons passed down from generation to generation. When it comes to our seafood tradition still rules.  Recently, I wandered into one of our crab houses, something I do on a regular basis, to see how the crabs were coming along and I snapped these photos.



 Remember, October is Maryland Seafood month. I hope your next soft shell crab sandwich is from Crisfield. Who knows? Perhaps it will have come from this shedding house.





From this...

To this...

The above photo was taken at Linton's Seafood in Crisfield. Shortly, I will be bringing you some of the "tasty" photos I took there late last week.

No comments: