Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Freedom Fest in Crisfield - July 4, 2010

“A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.” ~ George William Curtis 


Crisfield celebrated their 2nd annual Freedom Fest at Somers Cove Marina on July 4. Thanks to everyone who came out to honor our country and our military men and women. I also want to thank the Crisfield Chamber of Commerce and Somers Cove Marina for the great firework's display. Thanks also goes out to the Crisfield Fire Department for making our fireworks show a safe show. And a big hug to Allison, our event coordinator, for all her hard work. She needs more hugs for her work, don't you think?

Hope to see you next year for Freedom Fest in Crisfield!

Photos are not in any particular order.

Thanks to the Crisfield Fire Department and the Princess Anne Fire Department for rolling out the big ladder trucks for the flag display.


President of the Crisfield Chamber of Commerce John Phoebus begins the program.








Guests with Phoebus...









Crisfield Mayor P.J. Purnell, right, joins Phoebus on stage.


Mr. Mayor, as I call him, presents Perry Reese with the Keys to the City.


Perry salutes the mayor.


 The program ended with the playing of Taps.

 After the formal ceremonies were over, everyone settled in and enjoyed the afternoon.










Many festival-goers enjoyed the event from their boats.


















Chief Bill Reynolds of the Crisfield Fire Department with his wife Kathy.


There were lots of activities for the kids.






I suspect that this newborn enjoyed all the pretty colors of the afternoon after his nap.


Members of the Crisfield Coast Guard enjoyed the festivities. Be looking for the Change of Command photos; I am still working on them.

We had a lot of politicians and local officials attend the event







John Phoebus, running for Page Elmore's seat, kissed his first baby on the campaign trail. Page, you were with us all in spirit on this evening. We miss you.

We hope all our veterans enjoyed Freedom Fest. Thank you for your service.

This is my Sweetie, USMC doorgunner; Marble Mountain - Dong Ha, Vietnam, 66-67. Read his shirt and visit the Price of Freedom exhibit at the Smithsonian's Museum of American History. The folk art painting on the side of the Huey was done by him during the filming of the documentary, "In The Shadow of the Blade".

Nothing like sitting under an umbrella on a warm afternoon.

Of course, a little shade is always nice, too. He didn't even see me coming.

Our gal, Val and her husband Tim.

 This was such a lovely family. They informed me that the woman in the rear - far right, recently lost her husband in the war. I guess I should have taken a better photo of her but I was too busy hugging her.


A live band entertained festival-goers. The seagulls seemed to be having a good time, too.


The rest of the photos are really random...





Oh, look! My replacement. That used to be my job, folks, complete with getting deadlines and names. Actually, that looks a little bit like me some 30 years ago. I can still do that pose, though. Retirement sure is nice.



If you want to help support Crisfield's heritage, give these folks a call.










Thanks for taking notes, Sarah. My "assistant" thanks you. And I know Richard thanks you.



I used to have one of these parachutes when I was little.






I know I forgot someone, but this is about all I can do for now. Did I forget something else? Yes! The fireworks. Check back on Wednesday to get a view of the fireworks from atop Captain's Galley.

We hope everyone enjoyed their holiday. We hope to see you at Freedom Fest next year!

No comments: