Monday, June 1, 2009

Skateboarding in Crisfield

"I consider skateboarding an art form, a lifestyle and a sport." ~Tony Hawk

Click photos to enlarge.






I saw the first kid leaning up against an old building near the water, and rode up and told him not to move. That works around here, because everyone knows me (one of the neat things about small town life). He held his pose.

I just like the way he was standing there, being cool, for no other reason than he was a kid with a skateboard, just being a kid.

I gathered up the other skateboarders and told them to line up against the wall and be cool with him. Then, I told them to skate for me.

One of these days, I am going to get them to teach me skateboard. It looks like fun. It is never too late to try something new. Wanna try it with me, Bagman?

Whoo Hoo!

"Skateboarding has been connected with the punk culture and rebellion. There has just been a need to show that skateboarding can be a positive thing." ~ Brandon Nelson

Forever Young, my friends. Forever young.

"May the good lord be with you
Down every road you roam
And may sunshine and happiness
Surround you when you're far from home
And may you grow to be proud
Dignified and true
And do unto others
As you'd have done to you
Be courageous and be brave
And in my heart you'll always stay
Forever young, forever young
Forever young, forever young." ~ Rod Stewart (partial)

17 comments:

RedLan said...

I see some skater boys around in my area. It's cool to watch them doing stunts.

Cherie/ Butterfly Dreamer said...

I love watching the kids around here on skateboards.They are way cool!

Anonymous said...

I am really going to sound old here but....when I was a kid, my brother made me a skateboard with a piece of wood and an old pair of roller skates! I was pretty good at jumping over the cracks in the sidewalk in front of our house! Oh, if I had to do that now some orthopaedic surgeon could retire!
These are great pictures. Love the ATTITUDE!

GingerV said...

Evening Patty, great photos I think some of the best I've seen of yours. In Rio there is a skateboard 'bowl' there are kids as young as 5 that use it to practice their skills, yes and art form.

bARE-eYED sUN said...

Pat! great pictures! luvitt!

wethinx, ye've captured these young men, ye have.

we have our own tales to tell 'bout when we surfed the streets in our youth, but they'll wait for another day.

for now, lets say that we agree with the other comments: this is a good batch. ya did REAL good. :-)

bless the fall . . . indeed.

..
.ero

J9 said...

I used to ride a board all around town before I got my driver's license. And the song I thought of forever young is by Alphaville, about the coming nuclear holocost - cheery I know! I love these shots, btw mostly because I like subcultures, and studying them through photos.

Unknown said...

Yes, it has become an art form and the kds do it here too.
Healthy pastime.

Bagman and Butler said...

I started to say I liked the last picture best but then realized I liked each of them best in their own way. More later, when I get a moment.

Zaroga said...

Great pictures!

gigi said...

Yes they are very cool. Love the black and whites.
I use to love to skateboard and did it alot in High School. But I value my hips and knees to much anymore to even get on one.
Also loved to surf but don't do that anymore either. The boards are way to short. I learned how on one of those really long surfboards they had in the 60's and early 70's.

RA said...

I love the fact that you are living in a friendly small town. These are some very cool shots. Have a great day, Patty :)

Chef E said...

Nice shoots! My son still calls me when he is outside on his boards with friends, so many never out grow them!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I still wish I could do that!

Patience-please said...

I think the first photo is my favorite of all of yours! (That I've seen, of course.)

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

Great shots Patty......I adore anything with kiddo's in it :)
I know what you mean about time girl....and if you find any send me some. I promise to do the same for you. I don't think either of us should wait by the mailbox though do you, lol.
I am behind, behind, behind and exhausted. I know you are as well.I'm also trying to get ready for Vacation Bible School. I have 5th grade so that's gonna be a hoot :)
If I tried to skateboard at this point in my life it would be like that show Wipeout or something!!
XOXO to you, Huey and the gang of critter's.

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Tess Kincaid said...

That first picture is fabulous!

Jess said...

This is by far one of my favorites of yours. I love the black and white group shot!! And of course, the action shot. It's not every day you see a skateboarder doing tricks in what looks like the middle of the street!! Awesome job, Patty!