Monday, June 22, 2009

Beauty and the Building

“Each moment of a happy lover's hour is worth an age of dull and common life” ~ Aphra Behn, Novelist, and poet, 1640 -1689

Be sure and click on photos to enlarge






This old building used to be a school. After that, it became a church. Living here for only 3 years, I am not sure when the building was abandoned. I have always admired it, and think it sad that such a once beautiful building is now neglected.

I was heading to an assignment two weeks ago, and saw a woman photographing this young woman in her bridal dress. Though my time was limited, I slammed on my breaks hoping I could intrude and take a few photos. It turns out the photographer was the mother-in-law of the bride.

The area around the building was grown up and uneven, and that is where I sprained my ankle, tuning it when I stepped in a hole. I had worn sandals that day with a small heel, something I never I do when I have to go on an assignment where I have to move quickly, or when I am out shooting, never knowing where I will end up. But on this day, I only had one assignment (it came in on my off day) that required one shot and I knew I was going to be standing on pavement.

When I arrived at my destination, my ankle hurt so bad I had to do the assignment with my shoes off, and I kept going and going, shooting all week, and that did not help. My ankle is still bruised and I have to watch how I walk, but it is getting better.

Now who cares about my silly old ankle? Not a story I would put with such lovely shoot. I just wanted to express that it was worth hurting my ankle, and I would do it again. That is just the photographer in me. The one thing I regret is that I only had about 20 minutes to do the shoot, so there was not much time to be creative.



















When I get older losing my hair many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine,
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out til quarter to three would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four?

Oh, you'll be older too - Ah
And if you say the word, I could stay with you

I could be handy mending a fuse when your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside,
Sunday mornings, go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four?

Every summer we could rent a cottage in the Isle of White,
If it's not too dear
We shall skrimp and save, grandchildren at your knees,
Vera, Chuck, and Dave

Send me a postcard, drop me a line stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say,
Yours sincerely, wasting away
Give me an answer, fill in a form, mine forevermore
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four?


When I'm Sixty-Four ~ The Beatles


BTW, this building is not in Crisfield. It is in Marion Station, just a few minutes up the road.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patty, these are fantastic! Very "Beauty and the Beast" feel to it. I really love the shot with No Trespassing - clever, clever girl you! That shot alone would be worth a twisted ankle, I would think! Also, the picture directly below it - I love the newness of the gown against the decay of the building. Such amazing contrast. Good job Patty! I am so happy that you posted these.

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hi Patty, These photos are so charming. The building reminds me of so many in small home towns. What a lovely idea for this beautiful bride. The photo with her smiling under her veil is my very favorite! Thanks for sharing these unique and fun pics.

Anonymous said...

me again.....I had blueberry muffins coming out of the oven and had to run before!!!
I just wanted to say I'm sorry about your ankle and glad you are some better. Once, when I was about 25, I turned my ankle so badly and I will always remember how it hurt! Take care of yourself.

aurbie said...

Audrey: Yes. It was worth it. That is why I kept shooting. My ankle narrowed my shooting time. This is the kind of shoot you need a few hours to get right, and enjoy.

aurbie said...

Yaya and Mildred. Thanks. Mildred. You don't forget that pain, do you?

Joanne said...

A great series of portraits of the bride! Sorry about your ankle, hope it's feeling better. The pictures are very intriguing, she looks like she enjoyed the shoot!

gigi said...

These are awesome! I need some help being more creative than just saying "cheese". I love old buildings and rusty things. I'm starting to want to slam on the breaks a little more often.

A Scattering said...

a wonder you didn't sprain your ankle slamming on your brakes! Yesterday my husband muttered as he was driving and I was saying "Stop, I need to shoot those cows!" His muttering turned out to be "I have a motorcycle up my a@#, I can't pull over right now".... Sometimes traffic is SUCH a nuisance.

Town Blogger Team said...

Hey, I think you should do more like this one!
Patty, I have been gleaning the comments on the Town Shoot-out Blog and have found several new members. You might check the list. I'm sure it's not complete, but it's what I could do. Thanks for being you. Gordon

aurbie said...

Gordon at Town Blogger Team: Yes. I am not very organized, but we photographers tend to be a little on the disorganized side. Good intentions all the way, though.

Thanks to Gordon for helping to keep our Friday "My Town Shoot Out" going. And of course, to everyone who makes an effort to post each week.

Sometimes it can be hard for everyone to do a Friday posts. If you are going to drop out permanently for any reason, do let Gordon know so he can remove your name. We will still follow you, but on Friday and the weekends, we like to visit our shoot out members first.

aurbie said...

Speaking of disorganized, I accidentally deleted 4 comments. Please post again.

aurbie said...

Scattering: Haha. That is funny. Photographers are much more dangerous when it comes to breaking than people who run up on yard sales. In the states you can buy a bumper sticker that reads, "I break for yard sales." We all need one that reads, "I break for photo ops."

Bagman: You were one of the 4 I accidentally deleted. Not too many times on the gown as I had little time but a motor drive. And the mom-in-law was a great photographer. And it was so nice that she let me intrude on her shoot. I so wanted to stay and shoot more. I am a sucker for old buildings anyway, and have always admired that building and wondered how I could best shoot it. The light was always wrong or I was in a hurry. The light was not good that day but the action was fantastic.

Shining Windows said...

hey Patty, is was worth it. I got some good ones too! nice to meet you!

Tess Kincaid said...

Fun!! You got some fantastic shots, Patty.

Lew said...

great images for a drive by shooting! Hope your ankle is geting better.

Bill Buttrill said...

Such great contrasts: new vs old, white vs rust, new hope, new life on an old foundation. Plus, everything that Audrey said. Bill