Thursday, October 13, 2011

Wild things...

Wild plants in Maryland, plant that looks like a pumpkin



I have no idea what these are, but they intrigued me. They grow wild, and are hollow inside until maturity, when they develop one green seed inside near the top of the stem, the seed being the shape color and size of a pea. The "pea" when ripe, burst open, dispersing dozens of tiny seeds. Some of the "flowers" are rounded, looking more like miniature pumpkins. Aren't they the perfect fall decoration? I wanted to bring them home and pop them onto a string of Christmas lights, but they begin to wilt the moment you pluck them.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

very unique and unusual. and very pretty!! is this a vine or bush or tree?

aurbie said...

Doreen: it is a vine. I have some seeds I hope will sprout next fall.