Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sun dog in Westover, MD

Sun Dog in Westover, MD


I captured this sundog from a moving car. One shot is all I got before my husband went speeding by the building, and then the trees took over. Yes, we could have gone back, but returning from a trip with over 700 photos on 3 cameras, I figured one shot was enough. To capture the colors in the sundog, I made a quick camera adjustment to darken the sky. I doubt the untrained eye would have even seen the faint glint of colors.

Many people think that sundogs have to be some spectacular show in the sky.  Not so.  They can shout out to you or be a mere whimper of light, like the one in this photo. No, this is not a rainbow. It's a sundog.

From Wikipedia: Sundogs may appear as a colored patch of light to the left or right of the sun, 22° distant and at the same distance above the horizon as the sun, and in ice halos. They can be seen anywhere in the world during any season, but they are not always obvious or bright. Sundogs are best seen and are most conspicuous when the sun is low. For more on this phenomenon visit Wikipedia, and be on the lookout for your own sundog.

1 comment:

Bagman and Butler said...

I'd never heard of a sundog before. I'll have to keep my eyes open.