Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Cabin in the woods...

Jack Kerouac's On the Road, Cabin in the woods
"If you're holding out for universal popularity, I'm afraid you will be in this cabin for a very long time."  ~ J. K. Rowling 

I'm good with that. This is may favorite mountain retreat, in the family, so to speak. One-hundred acres of bliss.  I'll take this place any day over popularity. Popularity fades; nature is forever.



What am I reading? Jack Kerouac's Lonesome Traveler. He is one of my favorite authors.

"Thinking of the stars night after night I begin to realize "The stars are words" and all the innumerable worlds in the Milky Way are words, and so is this world too. And I realize that no matter where I am, whether in a little room full of thought, or in this endless universe of stars and mountains, it's all in my mind."  ~ Jack, Lonesome Traveler

2 comments:

Jim said...

Hi Patty ~~ Thank you for peeking on me and my old school house micro fiction story. This luscious place here is a far cry from the old decaying building I had posted.

You might like to write those little short stories, we do it at the beginning of every week.
Next week our picture prompt is of four child 'pedal' vehicles parked fairly neatly beside a fence.
..
BTW, I grew up in the country north of Omaha, Nebraska. Our little town with the post office was Herman, Nebraska.
We had a lot of Hancocks around that area. At any rate, would you have relatives back there? (No further reply will be okay for "no.")
In fact, in my sophomore year I had a crush on a little freshman named Sally Hancock. I still remember her, she had pretty curly red hair.
..

aurbie said...

Jim, thanks for the post and invite to contribute short stories. Even though I have written for magazines and newspapers, writing is hard work for me. My editors used to tease me about my little mistakes, but forgave me because my stories were colorful and engaging. Copy editors were my best friends. I may surprise you one day when a creative streak overcomes me, so keep your eyes peeled.

No relation. We hail from from the deep south, Georgia and Pensacola. Much warmer there.

Your Sally gal sounds like good fodder for a short story.