Sunday, January 8, 2012

Don't Steal My Stuff!

Don't steal my stuff!


I have not had much luck in relaying to people the meaning of copyright laws when it comes to my photos. Simply put, you cannot steal my photos. Even people whom I have given permission to use my photos without my embedded copyright have been lax in giving me credit.

I have been overly generous, giving away a few thousand photos over the past 3 years. Some of them have been on CDs and some are scattered in numerous computers sent via emails and presented in good faith on thumb drives.

When photos are passed on, lost, or misfiled without copyrights, there is no telling where they will end up. I see my photos everywhere these days and have become quite frustrated. 

For the past year or so, I have had to embed a copyright into my photos. There are about 3 years of photos on my site with no copyrights and they are open to theft. Even with copyrights, people have ways of removing or cropping them out. I could plaster my name in huge letters across the photos but the viewing is not as enjoyable.

On July 18, 2010, I posted a copyright notice on my side bar. It has done little to stop the misuse of my photos. So, one more time: No, you cannot use my photos without my written permission. And if you do use a photo on the Internet, you must link it back to this blog. Posters, brochures, or any printed materials, must contain my name. 

I am using this post as public notice to anyone who has posted one of my photos on the Internet (FaceBook, Twitter, personal and professional websites) without a link back to this blog and proper credit to the author: You are to immediately remove any and all photos. If you still want to use them, you can make a written request and I will supply you with a copy of a copyrighted photo.

Also, those who have been given photos without copyrights for specific purposes will be held responsible if they fall into the wrong hands. Please safeguard these photos. In the future I will require that you make a written request for each photo, and to inform me when and where the photo will be used. I also will require a copy of the publication.

I sell both limited and full rights to photos. Contact me for info. 

Some people ruin it for everyone.

Note: 99% of the photos on this site were taken by me. I sometimes see a photo or comment I like and post it. I always give credit. If you end up stealing someone's photo off this site, be decent enough to give the credit that came with it. 

No comments: